Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is it O.K. for a Worship Leader to Dance?


Recently I was given some feedback from a brother who was concerned about how I tend to move around while leading worship. More specifically he graciously pointed out that although he acknowledged the fact that I was caught up in the joy of worshipping the Lord that dancing while playing guitar and leading worship was a distraction for some. I accepted the feedback graciously but was almost immediately prompted by the Holy Spirit to read this piece of scripture:

1 John 4:18

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”

I was left reflecting on what the issue really was and why some people would be uncomfortable when I as a worship leader was worshipping God filled with the Spirit and full of joy. I reflected upon King David who is known in the Bible for his praise and worship of God. King David himself danced before the Lord, when he brought the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem...

2 Samuel 6:14
“And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.”

I found my mind wandering to that joke I have heard told in some circles that goes something like this: “Why don’t Baptists approve of couples...........while standing up? Because they are afraid that it will lead to dancing”

How can anyone worship in truth and spirit if they are feeling restricted to do so, even subtly? Much of the book of Psalms was written by David, and the Davidic style of worship has been practiced in Israel for many years, even unto today. Today, the resurgence of dance, and other forms of the arts being used in worship in Christian churches is referred to as the reinstatement of Davidic worship. David in fact refers to dance as a form of worship in some of the Psalms he wrote. ..

Psalm 149:3
“Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.”

Psalm 150:4
“Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.”

Obviously if a worship leader was “getting down” and swinging his guitar and breaking out into some freaky John Travolta dance moves under the guise of worshipping the Lord I may question that BUT gently swaying or dancing softly on the spot as the Spirit leads shouldn’t be an issue in my opinion, what do you think?

BTW I came a Hillsong video of live worship and the lead singer appears to swaying and dancing a bit :)
In Christ, Scott Towaij www.musicalprayers.com

2 comments:

  1. Worship of God - I AM - started in a culture that danced... a culture that STILL dances. NOT in conservative Canada. If we claim to be descendent from the first church, we MUST accept this fact. MOREOVER most of the world is not like conservative canada. Most of the world DANCES a lot... A LOT and even in "conservative canada" there is a TON of dancing.

    I do not think that anybody, ANYBODY has the right to tell you how you should express joy, love and worth to somebody that has saved you from so much. Some people are naturally subdued even in the presence of people they simply adore, while others like you and I are expressive.

    Scott, you and I have been through A LOT in our lives and the depths from which God picked us are not known to many. Our worship is a reflection of how grateful we are to Jesus for his AMAZING, INCREDIBLE grace. I feel that if more people really grabbed a hold of just how amazing Jesus' love for us is, there would be a whole lot more dancing for joy during worship.

    My blood boils every time I hear about a worship leader being bullied over what is perceived as being too expressive. My response to critics that would say I am too expressive is this: What if Jesus held back from expressing too much love for us? What if he only showed a smidgen of love?

    Forgive me for blogging on your blog!! http://pmugarura.com/2012/03/07/tone-setters/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather my worship leader expressing his love for the Lord than be stiff and lead the choir!!!!!

    ReplyDelete